Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Rash and The Beans

On Thursday Luke started developing a rash all over his torso, from his neck down to where his diaper starts.  It got progressively worse through the day, but it didn't seem to bother him.  But that night, he screamed through the entire night.  Literally, Jared and I got about 3 hours of sleep.  We couldn't figure out what was wrong.  I checked his diaper, and found that his rash had spread, gotten redder, and also bumped up.  We weren't sure if that was the problem or if it was the chili beans.  At dinner that night, Luke had scarfed down 20-25 chili beans!

On Friday, I took Luke to the doctor (which was an adventure all in itself since the Jetta wouldn't start and Jared had the Pontiac at school.  I was happy to know I had such good friends willing to drive me to the doctor, but in the end Jared was able to bring me the car).  After the examination, it was determined that the rash was a reaction to a viral infection and would just have to clear up on it's own.  Since it wasn't bothering him during the day (and since Luke had 3 absolutely disgusting poops on Friday), it was concluded that the horrible night was due to the beans.

Luke's rash on Saturday morning.  It hardly even shows up on the camera since it's faded a lot.  I should have taken pictures yesterday.  He looked like a leper then.


1 comment:

MOM47 said...

Taylie had a rash like that when she was about that age. I ran next door to Nikki and said "I think Taylie has the chicken pox!" Nikki came over and said "no biggie. They get those rashes all the time". It looked terrible though!