Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Kid Sucks...

From a Straw.

Luke hasn't had a bottle for 3 days now.  Which is great.  But he also hasn't drunk (is that the correct word?) much at all.  Yes.  I oded too soon.  After that one episode, Luke has refused milk from any sippy cup-- even the "wonderful" Gerber transition cup.  So, except for a few swallows from a regular cup, no milk and probably a total of about 6 ounces of liquid for the past 2 days.  I called Mom yesterday to ask how much liquid he NEEDS everyday, and she reassured me that he was okay, but Jared and I have been really worried.  

I've been praying about it-- that Luke will forget about the bottle and start drinking milk.  I think prayer has made a huge difference.  The first time we decided to wean Luke, we just went for it.  This time, we preceded it with prayer, and he never even acted funny.  Our only concern has been the amount of liquid that he's been drinking.  Then today Jared had an idea.  He said that he thought Luke would like juice boxes because we could help the liquid up the straw by pushing on the box.  I got juice boxes, flavored water, and milk (in boxes).

Luke drank half of the Capri Sun water in about 5 minutes.  He loved the straw!  And while Jared and I would prefer that he drink water and milk, we were so happy that he drank anything.  We were willing to try anything.  That puts his liquid intake at a record high for the past 3 days.  I think he probably had at least 10 ounces thanks to the Capri Sun.  And since I didn't get them until right before his nap, hopefully tomorrow he'll do even better.

And then he figured out how to take the straw out.  So fun.  (And check out that pot belly.  Isn't that soooo cute?)

Now if we can just get him to drink milk....

No comments: