Thursday, April 30, 2009

3 Years-- The Story of How We Met, Dated, and Got Engaged

Yesterday was our 3 year anniversary.  And for myself and for those who love us, I thought it would be fun to look back and review our history.

April 2005

Jared and I met while we were both teaching in the English as a Second Language department at the MTC (Missionary Training Center) in Provo.  I had sat in on his class once to observe, and I thought he was cute.  Then one time at a training meeting, Jared and I sat next to each other and he struck up a conversation by asking me about my cousin Brittany.  It may be thanks to her that we ended up together.  She and Jared were both going to the same field study in Mexico for the fall semester and had just started the prep course when I got my job at the MTC.  She asked Jared if he knew me and told him to ask me out.  He didn't ask me out then, but a few days later I was carrying a CD player to work and trying to juggle an umbrella and Jared took the CD player and carried it for me.  I went to thank him after our shift and I asked him for his phone number.  I invited him to come to Grammy's house on Sunday for games.

Me and Grammy

He came that Sunday (so I say I asked him on the first date).  That week we hung out a few times, and Jared took me to breakfast (at the MTC before work!), and since he paid he says that was the first date.  Whatever.

This picture was taken on June 3, 2005.  That's Jared's birthday.  I planned a big picnic hike in Price Canyon.  We hiked to the hot springs where we had our picnic and our first kiss.  I knew by then that I was in love.  It took Jared a little bit longer.  And Yes.  That is beef jerkey.  Jared didn't become a vegetarian until a little over a year ago.

In early August, Jared left for his field study in Mexico.  He was gone for 3 months, and we had to communicate mostly by email (and only once a week).  It made me pity those people who have to wait for missionaries.  It was pretty miserable, and I missed him a lot.  He got back in November, right before Thanksgiving.  We had one and a half days together before he headed off to Nevada.  He came to Utah most week-ends through December.  And we got engaged unofficially on December 18, 2005.  That night Jared took me to see the Nutcracker ballet.  It made me love that ballet even more than I did before.  I wanted it to be a longstanding tradition that we ALWAYS see the Nutcracker on December 18, but it only lasted 1 year.  Then Luke came along... (Jared "officially" proposed the next day.  He felt he had to have the ring in hand for it to be official.)

Our engagement photo taken in February 2006.  Not the prettiest time of year because Utah is mostly dead, but I think this picture turned out pretty good.  Although I wish I was wearing different shoes.

1 comment:

Tristan said...

I can't remember if I knew that you guys were an MTC success story too... You guys are great!! :D