Sunday, April 19, 2009

I'm in awe of Atticus Finch

Megan (my sister) and I are both re-reading "To Kill a Mockingbird"-- one of the best books ever written.  It makes we want to name a child after this book.  Anyway, today I read a quote that I LOVE, and I wanted to share it.  It is Atticus speaking to Scout about the horrible things people are saying about him.  Scout asks Atticus why he is defending Tom Robinson (who is Black) when most of the town thinks it's the wrong thing to do.  She wants to know why Atticus feels it is the right thing to do, and more than that, why he feels he couldn't go to church or hold his head up if he doesn't.  Atticus says,

"...before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

3 comments:

The Borlands said...

Oh holler!! ;) Hey Stacy, I gotta come visit you to visit teach! And to just talk and laugh and maybe even cry! :)

Valerie Christensen said...

Stacey! It's Val. I found your blog through Megan's. How are you guys? Is it your husband's second year of law school? Jared has finals in 3 weeks and then takes the bar in July. Woof! Anyways, I'm glad I found your blog--and could your son be any cuter? No, I don't think so!!

The Vernon Mackeys said...

Such a great book. I love it too!! Glad I can now check in on the Wilkerson's now!! Glad you are doing well!!