Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Sacred Blankie

Luke is somewhat attached at the hip (or at his hand) to his blanket when we're at home.  It doesn't leave the house except when it occasionally makes the journey to church.  But at home it is a necessity.

On Saturday this was demonstrated quite clearly by two events:

1.  I heard Luke crying in his room and went in to find him curled up in a ball in front of his crib.  His blanket was stuck between two bars and he couldn't pull it out of his bed.  It was very nearly the end of the world until I rescued it.
2.  Later that day I knew Luke was hungry, so I pried his blanket away and put him in his high chair.  He became practically hysterical trying to get out of his chair, all the while reaching his arms toward his blanket which lay on the floor.  Once he had it in his hand, he could eat quite happily.


This was the first and only time Blankie has joined snack time.  I won't let that become a habit because it gets dirty enough without having Luke spit crackers all over it.  I wash his blanket every week, but I have to time it right so that it can be washed and dried before sleep.  He won't lay down without it.  Last week I put it in the washing machine before running errands and got home right before nap time.  That day Luke just slept with a wet blanket.

No comments: