Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Little Trip

While Megan was in town, we all took a trip to San Antonio on Friday and Austin on Saturday. Mikey met us in San Antonio for dinner and a walk along the River Walk. It was beautiful and fun. It was hard to find a restaurant without an incredibly long wait, though. Finally, we found an Irish pub restaurant with no wait and good food. And Luke even behaved himself pretty well. With him, you never know how a night out is going to go.

Luke with Uncle Mikey

On the River Walk
I made Michael snap this picture just because we hardly ever get pictures of the three of us together. Luke didn't cooperate when he wouldn't look at the camera, but there we are together. That boat in the background is for river tours. The next morning we went on one of the tours. It was very interesting. The guide told us a lot of history about the river walk and San Antonio. Luke was tired because we were ignoring nap time and wasn't in a very good mood, but I'm still glad that we went.
View of the River Walk at Night


While we were walking along Mikey invented a new game. He would pretend to sneeze very loudly, and Luke thought it was HILARIOUS. It's so hard to catch a real smile on camera, so I kept making Mikey do it over and over while I took pictures. Now that we're back home, Luke still likes the game. He even says "choo choo."
Gut wrenching giggles


My boys are so handsome!

After dinner, Jared and Dad took Luke back to the hotel to sleep while Megan, Brenna, Blake, Michael, Mom and I went to the Alamo. (Jared had just gone the week before with his boss while they were in San Antonio for a client meeting, so don't think I denied him of true Texas culture.)
A true Texas Hero
Some true Utah cuties

By part of the Alamo-- should have read the signs. Then I could tell you what part.

A monument to the fallen heros. Poor Davey Crocket-- King of the Wild Frontier

I just love my family!

I never pulled out the camera in Austin because I'm an idiot. We got there right around lunch time. We ate by Lake Austin and then walked around on the pier for just a little while. It was too hot to stay out for long. I guess we're all just wimps. Later, after a failed nap attempt that lasted waaaayyy too long, Michael took us to see his office (which is totally impressive and beautiful) and a short driving tour of campus before we went out to eat BBQ with one of Jared's friends from BYU and his friend's new wife. It was lots of fun to meet Marlise and for Jared to talk to Brandon again. I just wish I'd gotten a picture!
Let me just say that I loved having Megan here. We were so close in Utah, and while I still talk to her a lot by phone, it was so great to talk to her again in person. Of course, we saw each other over Christmas, but with that many of us all together, it was impossible to get a good one-on-one. We stayed up way too late some nights chatting, but it was 100 % worth it.
I was completely shocked when I saw how big Brenna had gotten. She looked so much like Taylie that I kept calling her the wrong name. She would say, "My name is Bweeen-naaa!" And seeing Blake was just crazy because he is the only one of Megan's kids that I don't really know. I wasn't there when he was born and haven't been around since. It's so sad to me that suddenly I'm not there for the big events in their lives. I wish we all lived closer together.
And the day before Megan left my mom went back to work. So it's just Luke and I again. Luckily this week we've had more lunch dates that have kept us busy and kept me sane.









No comments: