Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What We Miss About Texas


The People

Luke misses Mima.  When we were in Texas, he cried when she left every morning, and he ran to meet her when he heard her come in.  His favorite games to play with Mima were "squash you like a bug", stinky feet, and copycat.  He also liked helping Mima with her cross stitch.

Luke misses PaPa too.  His favorite things to do with PaPa were naming animals, naming body parts, and crushing PaPa's newspaper.  In this picture PaPa is helping Luke build up the courage to touch the water.

We didn't get to see Michael that many times, but every time we did Luke had an immediate best friend.  Michael is seriously some kind of kid magnet.  Luke's favorite game with Uncle Mikey was fake sneezing.

While this picture doesn't adequately show it, Luke LOVED Casey.  It took him a few days to warm up to her, but once he did he wouldn't leave her alone.  He would play with her ears, pet her belly, and laugh at her tail.  He also loved her food and water bowls.  I don't even know how many puddles I cleaned up before I learned to keep Casey water on the shelf whenever Luke was around.

Luke misses Aunt Jennifer, Grandpa Terry, and Grandma Debbi.  He probably misses Annabelle too, but he didn't get to spend too much time with her.  Poor Annabelle had to stay mostly in her crate whenever Luke was over.  While Luke isn't exactly shy, he also doesn't perform for strangers.  But by the end of the summer, he would sit on everybody's lap and pat Jennifer's cheeks.

The Places
Luke misses his morning trip to the park.  When we get up in the morning, he runs to the door.  I haven't been able to take him out though because my exercise clothes were either in the mail (Luckily not everything fit into my suitcase, so I shipped a bunch of things-- including my new running shoes) or destroyed.  Now that the claim is filed and the most important "coming back" errands are completed, we can start the morning exercise/ park routine again.  Probably next week.

Luke warmed up to the water park.  We took him there one evening with Mom and Dad.  He ran all over and yelled at the other kids who were playing.  He tried to join a birthday party.  Kind of embarrassing.  

Luke also misses the stairs at my parents house and the forbidden study.  He loved sneaking into that room.  Now that we're back, he likes sneaking into Jared's office, but it's not nearly as exciting as Mima and PaPa's study.

Finally, I think Luke misses having a backyard.  I will also be so happy when we finally have one.

The Things

Luke loved a lot of Mima's toys.  Some of his favorites were the music set complete with drums and symbols, the peg board, the Fisher Price people, and the toy kitchen.  But his absolute favorite thing to play with was...

Mima's vacuum

He would push this vacuum all over the downstairs of the house.  He would stand by the closet door and whine for me to open the door so he could get it, and he would throw a FIT when I put it away.


I miss the same people and places that Luke misses but for different reason.  While Mom didn't play "squash you like a bug" with me, she taught me a lot about sewing and she provided free baby-sitting.  Mostly, though, it was nice to talk to her face-to-face again.  I miss my dad too.  It was fun to see him interact with Luke.  Dad put Luke to bed several nights.  He even changed diapers.  I also miss my cousin Emily.  We roomed together for 2 1/2 years at BYU and were really good friends, so it was fun to see her.  Luke also liked playing with her boys.

I miss my best friend of over 15 years-- still Jennifer to me. 

I also miss a very predictable schedule for Jared as well as a real paycheck from Jared.  That was nice!

Jared misses Astros games, the work place, and hearing Spanish.  I'm sure he misses more, but he'll have to post if he wants to tell you the details.  I don't want to get it wrong.

1 comment:

Valerie Christensen said...

It looks and sounds like you had so much fun!