Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Three Tenths Mormon Housewife

It seems like every typically perfect Mormon Housewife has to do the following things:


1. Scrapbook

2. Sew, paint, stencil, or similar activities

3. Use coupons and get like 1,000 dollars worth of food and items for 200 dollars-- and do it every month

4. Fix things (washing machine, etc.)

5. Do fun activities with their kids (and the play-dough should be homemade of course)

6. Cook and bake

7. Use words like silly instead of stupid-- (Or worse!)

8. Have a perfectly clean house

9. Have perfectly groomed kids

10. Have and use food storage


While I am far from being a perfect Housewife, I cook okay, bake fairly well, usually have a pretty clean house, and Luke rarely smells bad enough for people to notice. Since none of those qualities are perfect, I give myself a 2 out of 10. In addition, I award myself partial points for activities with the kid. While I have not yet made homemade playdough, I do take Luke to the park every day. I also do the shape sorter every day and wrestle around with him. He seems pretty happy, so I give myself some credit. And now for my final partial to bring me up to 3 out of 10. I've learned how to sew and paint! (a little-- enough to feel proud of myself.)

I wanted to make curtains this summer, but my project grew because I found some absolutely perfect cowboy material. So Luke is going to have a fully redecorated cowboy room. I made a quilt, pillow (with cording and everything), pillowcase, and window valence. My mom made the crib skirt. And what I'm the most excited about is the wall decorations to go with them. But since my mom did the truly remarkable picture, that credit must go to her! More pictures will follow.





My mom looked at fabric from the quilt I made Luke and used the pattern to draw a perfectly matching picture. Then she used graphite paper to transer it to wood and painted it. For my project, we photocopied the front of a picture book, then used graphite paper to transfer it to wood. I, of course, painted the less daunting picture.

Can you believe how good it looks?

My first paining job!

And there is the (not quite finished yet) sign for Luke's room.
All of the decorations are finished and back in Virginia now just waiting for me to tell Jared how to hang them up. I am so excited for Luke's cowboy room. I'll post more pictures when it's all done.

4 comments:

Nora said...

STACE!! Those are adorable. ADORABLE. And I'm not that big a fan of cowboy schtuff. I LOVE it. And GO YOU that you sewed all that stuff!! I can't wait to see it. You are a true artist:) xoxo

The Mullins Family said...

This is funny! I love your list of 10. When do you guys return to W'burg? I have been reading your posts during the summer! I love watching little Luke grow!

Nathan said...

Oh Crap! Sarah just made home-made play-doh a few weeks ago. Plus the coupons and digital scrapbooking. But I figure she probably looses at least a few points for being ashamed of ranking too high on the Mormon Mom Scale? Hopefully that will bring her down a bit. That and having a husband that just said "Oh Crap". Or do I need to swear? I am more than willing...

The Grady's said...

I love your little craft projects! They turned out great! Hope you guys are doing well!