Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

Well, it was either a shirt or aftershave. We went with a shirt.

Top Ten Things I Love About My Dad:
1. I know that he loves me-- well all of us really. And this is how I know: he came to every dance recital, competition, sports event, etc. He would even take off work to go to Michael's cross country meets. He had a stopwatch at every swim team meet, and he would bring binoculars to the football games so that he could see me better. Also: He made sure to support what we wanted to do. He helped us with school, activities, and church activities and assignments. Finally: I know that he loves us by the ways he looks at us. He has a special smile for his kids. And a VERY special smile for his grandkids.

2. He is so organized. He keeps attach of his own finances, as well as my taxes, and Grammy's taxes. That takes a lot of patience and dedication.

3. He has an amazing sense of duty. Dad doesn't think about whether or not he wants to do something that he had to do: he just does it. This is especially true when it comes to duties in the gospel. He will go to church meetings without complaining, stay and clean up chairs, visit people, whatever. If it comes to the gospel: he won't complain.

4. He let us have a dog: finally. It took forever to wear him down, but finally, he gave in. By then he had waited until we were pretty much leaving home and he and mom got stuck with the dog completely, but he finally gave us what we had begged for for years. But this is the really great part. While I was on my mission Riley got really sick. He had been having seizures for a few years, but this was a really bad one. He was paralized in the back yard. My mom and Amber found him, but Dad helped get him into the car. Mom took him to the doggie emergency room, and she thought they would have to put him to sleep. But Dad was the one who decided to wait. For a few years, at least, he bought Riley some time. And since I know he didn't really care about the dog... this goes back to #1.

5. He likes the Eagles, Simon & Garfunkel, and country music. That's just cool.

6. My Dad likes to travel. We went on cool vacations every year. Once we went to Williamsburg, Virginia. I remembered that I liked it. That's one reason I pushed for William & Mary. And now that he can go pretty much anywhere he wants. Do you know where he goes? He plans his trips around temples and baseballs. Quirky I know. But that's my Dad.

7. My Dad walks around the house shooting baskets and throwing pitches. It's just funny, and it's one of the things I will always remember about him.

8. My Dad doesn't care about money or things. It's a very admirable quality; one that I admire a lot. He could buy pretty much anything that he wants, but he doesn't want. That in and of itself proves that he's a wonderful person.

9. My Dad has an amazing level of commitment. I guess this goes with #4 a little, but it's more than that. I know he would never give up on anything that is important to him. And so since his family and the church (maybe his job?) are the most important things to him, I know that his priorities and efforts will always be focused on those things. Not because we are his duty, but because we are his loves.

10. He's my Dad. That's my very favorite thing about him.

No comments: