Monday, January 26, 2009

A New Resolve

Over Christmas, I saw my mother and was amazed. She has lost nearly 40 pounds since around March of last year. Looking at her, I decided I really had no more excuses. So I spent the money that I was going to spend on a year pass to the Virginia Living Museum and got a pass to the community center. I have been really good at working out. I've been going for about an hour almost every day, but I haven't lost much weight. So I've decided. I HAVE to change my eating habits. My mom is sending me her copy of "The South Beach Diet" which is what she's followed to lose so much weight. I don't have incredible amounts of will power when it comes to food (ah! I love my sweet tooth), but I'm sick of feeling bad about myself. What do I really want more? That cookie or to feel good again? I've done really well so far today, and I feel proud of myself. Maybe I can do this after all. It gives a whole new perspective on goal setting. I'm excited for the book to get here so I'll have more ideas of menus to follow. So far, I've just been counting calories (roughly, since I'm not always taking the time to measure everything out).

And I know this is not quite related, but it's given me an entire new perspective on religion. Okay. Here me out. I know a lot of people who can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to dedicate their life to Christ when they understand the joy that follows that kind of dedication. I remember feeling sad for people on my mission who felt that the gospel was a good thing but didn't feel ready to follow its teachings. Even at the time, I could understand a little. It's a big change to completely rebuild beliefs and in many instances an entire new way of life.

Well, I feel that way about healthy living. I know that exercise and eating right will make me happier and bless my life. But it's easy to find excuses not to do it. I've even done the hopeless, "I'm going to eat everything bad I want today because tomorrow I'm giving it all up." As Jared kindly pointed out, that never works. I think it was the contemplation about the gospel that gave me the resolve to really try. I don't want to be a person who gives up easily because something is difficult. I'm not that kind of person when it comes to most things, so I decided I can be dedicated to healthy living as well.I know that eating better and exercising will make me happier. For brief times in my life, I've even done it, and I know the truth of it. So why not do it? What is there to lose? Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Nora said...

what a beautifully insightful post. YOU CAN DO IT!!! this is me wishing you all the best luck in the whole world.
(and this is also me up at 4:30am, but Samuel just finished crying it out. You can do that, too!) love you.