Monday, October 6, 2008

Yorktown


I went to Yorktown for the first time last Monday.  Nora drove Luke and me down while our car was in the shop.  If I had known how beautiful it was, I would have gone sooner.  Nora parked down the beach to the right of this picture, and we walked with our boys to a beautiful square.  All around this grassy area were cute brick shops (and Ben&Jerry's where we got ice cream.  Yum!)  Can you believe this view?  I just can't believe we live someplace so beautiful.


I'm not as up to date 0n my American History (or any history, actually) as I should be, so I didn't know the significance of Yorktown.  It is the city where the last battle of the American Revolution took place.  There is a big driving tour of the battlegrounds and burial grounds.  I haven't done that yet.  Nora and I didn't have time to stay long.  And actually, I went back to Yorktown on Thursday with Haley.  Nora met us there, and we walked around and saw a few more historical sights, but still didn't have time for the driving tour.  Darn whiny kids who want to eat and nap!  We did see a house with a cannon ball stuck in the brick.  The cannon ball hit their house while they were eating dinner!  I didn't bring my camera on Thursday though, so I'll have to post a picture after the next time I go (which WILL be soon).  Anyway,  the picture you see below is of Luke and Samuel playing on the grassy area when Nora and I gave them some wiggle time on Monday.

Samuel was a lot more into playing than Luke was, as you can tell.

Luke meeting a statue.  I couldn't see a plaque anywhere, so I don't know who these statues are supposed to represent.  I'm guessing either generals or people who were important to settling the town.  I don't really know.

This is Luke and I by the fountain in the square, and this is Nora carrying Samuel.  Again, isn't this place beautiful???




No comments: