Thursday, September 18, 2008

Last week, we had some interesting things happen with our neighbor downstairs.  Monday night, I did a workout video which, in retrospect, is a stupid thing to do when you live on the second floor.  When Jared got home there was a note from our neighbor asking us to be quieter.  I felt really bad because I probably had been making a lot of noise.  But the note said she had been woken up "on several occasions."  Jared and I couldn't figure that out, but all the same I took candy down on Tuesday and apologized for the work out video.  Then, on Wednesday, I baby sat for a friend.  Her daughter and Luke were playing in the living room and kitchen walking around and playing with toys.  Well at 1:15 in the afternoon, I got a knock at the door: our downstairs neighbor asking us to be quiet because she wasn't feeling well.  I was so shocked.  Luke had been crawling around and the girl was just watching a movie and playing with dolls.  Does she want us to stay in one spot all day so that she can take a 1:00 nap?  Luckily we haven't heard from her again because I don't think I'll be very nice if she comes up here again, and she definitely won't be getting any more candy from us.
On Friday, Jared and I went to Nora and Adam's to begin season 4 of The Office.  For those of you who watch, I seriously almost died during the Rabies Run episode.  I thought it was one of the funniest episodes I'd ever seen (until Jared borrowed disk 2 and I saw the episode where they are making a commercial.)
On Saturday Jared, Luke, and I drove up to Norfolk to meet with Edward and spend a morning with him before he left for Iraq.  (For Stacy's family: Edward is Jared's older brother who is in the Air National Guard and has been given a 60 day assignment in Iraq.)  We went to breakfast at ihop, and then we went to see the warship Wisconsin.  The boat was really big, but most of the really cool stuff wasn't on the main deck (which is where we could go).  Still, we got to see what a bunk is like.  We all came to the conclusion that tall people should NOT choose to go into the navy as they would never fit into the bunks.  Later that day, we went to a picnic for the J. Reuben Clark law society which is basically a Mormon club.  We only stayed for about 10 minutes because Luke was screaming and I was carsick from stop and go traffic on the way back from Norfolk.
On Sunday Jared invited some single friends over for dinner.  I learned a couple of things throughout the evening: 
1.  I'm good at looking at ingredients when making a shopping list but not so good at looking at the QUANTITY of those ingredients.  For example, I wanted to make "no-fuss baked ravioli" from the Kraft food and family magazine.  It calls for 2 packages of frozen cheese ravioli.  So I bought 2.  When I made it, something wasn't right.  Jared looked at the quantity: 2 bags of ravioli, 10 oz. each.  Oops!  I bought 2 bags of ravioli 25 oz. each.  We still have 2 tupperwares full in the fridge, and it's Thursday.
2.  Apparently, card games/board games are a weird Mormon family thing.  We tried to play Yahtzee with his friends, and 10 (no..5) minutes into it, it was obvious that they weren't having so much fun.  So, Jared and I were wondering...why do Mormons play games so much?  We were brainstorming reasons why.  a.  We have big families, so we have to do cheap things and cards are cheap.  b.  We often play on Sundays.  We can't go anywhere on Sunday, and you can play games at home.  c.  We spend more time with our families than normal.  d.  We're weird.  
Anyone else's thoughts on the board game culture?
3.  Just for me:  I don't have much to talk about with a bunch of law students who aren't girls.  What's the big deal about college football anyway???
4.  You can watch tv with a cable even if you don't have cable tv.  It's the cable connection that lets you get regular channels.  Jared and I really, REALLY wish someone had told us that before his friend Bob FINALLY told us on Sunday.  I didn't watch ANY Olympic events because it's hard to watch on the computer with Luke around and we "didn't get any channels" before that.  I can't remember if I wrote about when Luke chewed on the remote and bit the reset button.  Well, if I already wrote about it, I will repeat myself.  Since he hit the reset button, the tv kept trying to reset itself and just kept scanning and scanning for channels.  Since we didn't have anything, it just kept scanning and we couldn't do ANYTHING.  So Jared bought an antennae for the tv so that we could pick up a channel (basically pure fuzz that vaguely made shapes of people) Jared watched our fuzzy tv in the evening so he could get the football scores (Until he got the digital converter box that ended up not making the fuzz clearer but instead made it so that we didn't even get fuzzy people.  We got nothing.)  And all that time, all we really needed was a cable that cost 6 bucks.  Jared's taking the converter box back to the store tomorrow.  I don't know if we can return the antennae because Luke bent it.

No comments: