Monday, September 8, 2008

Another report from the Virginia Wilkersons:

While there was a little bit of hype about Hurricane Hanna, all we experienced was a medium rain and some wind.  The worst we had to do was take the star off our front door so that it wouldn't scratch the paint from banging the door in the wind.  Oh, and pay too much for an overly nice flashlight I bought at Wal-mart in an attempt to be prepared.  When I went to Wal-mart on Friday, all the cheap flashlights and D batteries were sold out as were the battery operated lanterns and the cheap brands of bottled water.  So I had to buy the 20 dollar flashlight that is heavy enough to use as a club.  
Saturday and Sunday we had stake conference.  Jared got to listen on Saturday while I spent most of the time watching Luke, and I got to listen on Sunday while Jared took care of Luke.  The talks were really good.
Now, here's what individually is going on.

Luke:  Luke got a new bed this week!  He finally has a crib!  He actually got it because I ruined his pack and play by trying to wash it.  I warped the boards in the pad.  And washing it didn't really get out the pee smell that I was trying to get out in the first place.  Luke seems to really like his new bed, and Jared and I are excited that this week Luke went to sleep without being rocked EVERY SINGLE NIGHT and for every nap.  Luke continues to pull himself up on things.  We went to a birthday party on Friday night, and Luke was using strangers' pant legs to stand up.  It was all innocent until he bit someone's knee.  He still topples over a lot so he has lots of bruises and bangs on his forehead.  Oh, the rough life of a baby!

Jared:  Jared started his fellowship jobs.  He works in the law library on Monday nights and he works in the office for students with disabilities twice a week.  His first job was actually to do some computer programming for the office.  He didn't really know what he was doing, but he figured it out pretty quickly.  If it had been me, I would have gone insane.  My boss would have walked in an hour into my job to find me sobbing and a hole in the computer screen where I got so mad I punched a hole in it.  (Okay, he'd probably find the computer fine and me sobbing with a broken hand because I'd tried to punch a hole in the computer screen).  Anyway, Jared seems to like his jobs okay.  His classes are getting better and better.  His civil procedure was his least favorite, and while it may still be his least favorite, he likes it a lot better than he used to.  He says his teacher doesn't pore over each case and rehash the same ideas over and over.  Most of what goes on during the day seems a little bit confusing to me.  Lots of hypothetical situations and bizarre cases.  He'll have to explain all of that.  Jared has been playing basketball at the church 2-3 times a week.  He rarely played basketball in Utah, but he really likes it here.

Stacy:  Luke and I went with a friend to Jamestown settlement this week with a friend.  It was really fun!  There is an indian village, a settler's fort, and replicas of the first three ships to bring settlers to Jamestown.  I'm going to make a CD of pictures to send to Franklin where I used to teach.  Anyway, we saw a demonstration of loading guns.  Actually, we heard the guns before we walked into the demonstration.  My friend Nora jumped so high and screamed really loud when the gun went off.  A group of people standing near us all started laughing, and I was snorting and almost...well, you know.  Then we went and found the demonstration to see the end.  We also saw blacksmiths there and a guy making some kind of game board.  Nora knew what it was, but I'd never heard of the game.  
I went with Luke a couple of times to Waller Mill Park to run.  Afterwards  we watched the ducks.  Luke loves to see the ducks.  

We love Virginia!

2 comments:

Sally said...

I love your blog!! and I really miss you guys. Living in your old apartment only makes it worse because it solidifies the fact that you are really gone. But I'm glad you're enjoying virginia.
Love ya!

Nora said...

man, you totally have a crazy friend. what is up with her, anyway? what's such a big deal about a 1700's musket going off RIGHT NEAR YOUR HEAD? just kidding. it was like 1/2 mile away. xoxo