Monday, March 23, 2009

Shamed at the Bookstore (among other details of my life)

There are a lot of 3rd year law students who will soon be graduating and leaving.  I am so sad that they will be gone!  Hopefully a few (one especially) will stay in the area :) Anyway, Jared and I have felt so welcomed here.  We made some friends right away, and I am determined to help our newcomers feel just as welcome.  More than that, I am determined to convince people to choose William & Mary.  We want a good big group of families here.  Nora took up my cause too.  There was a family visiting her ward yesterday who is in town investigating William & Mary for an undergrad program.  Nora invited them to dinner and invited us to come say hi too.  It was really fun to meet them, and today Jared and I met up with them today for lunch.

We were supposed to meet in from of the bookstore in CW at 11:30 am.  I got there early, so I decided to explore the childrens section upstairs.  Luke started whining in his stroller, so I let him out.  He walked around looking at books and babbling for a little while.  And I swear I was within a few feet of him the WHOLE TIME.  But was I really paying attention to what was in the corner?  Not really.  Not until it was too late...  I saw Luke reaching for the huge cardboard display, and shouted NO! right as he grabbed and yanked.  Crash!  And there was Luke lying on the floor under the display board with books scattered all around.  As well as a few critical pieces of the display.  And an employee ran around the corner.  "Oh!Oh! I heard you yell no, and I heard the crash."  And then she saw me pull Luke out and check him over.  What color was my face?  Probably red.  And I was stammering apologies and trying to comfort Luke at the same time.  Luckily, the employee was really nice about it and acted more concerned about Luke than the books or display, but I felt soooo stupid.  And I wanted to escape as quickly and with as much "I'm really not a terrible parent" dignity and proof as possible.  So when she asked, "Can I help you find anything?" I just said, "Oh.  I already found it,"  held up the Sandra Boynton book I had been looking at (and not originally planning to buy), and took it to the register.  We are now the proud owners of this book:

which turned out to be absolutely hilarious. 

And then we headed to lunch. (Where Luke made a poopy diaper-- and there was no changing table.  It's a good thing he doesn't complicate things.)

Jared and Luke in Retro's-- one of the best places to eat in CW (in my opinion) because it is cheap and it has quite a few vegetarian options.  And also their corn dogs rock!  Mom, don't judge me.  I deserve a treat now and then.  Although to tell the truth, there have been an awful lot of nows lately which explains why I haven't lost any more weight in about three weeks.  I'm rededicating myself tonight.  Salad for dinner.  Anyway...

Our new friends, Yurii and Donna (and their son Alman asleep in the sling).
We hope they're here next year!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Your stories are the funniest. Don't worry, we all have those days. And I absolutely LOVE Sandra Boynton books!