Thursday, February 26, 2009

Why We Can't Get Rid of the Binky

Luke is admittedly too attached to his binky.  At first he didn't care too much one way or another if he had it or not, but lately he puts it in his own mouth all the time.  He reaches for it when he sees one, and does this when I pull it out to take a picture:

For about a week, I tried to keep it away from him except for in his bed and in the car.  He was more whiny those days (which was annoying), and a few times I gave it to him just to plug him up.  But for the most part I resisted.  Until I realized how dangerous he is without it in his mouth.

See Luke with his binky?  He's holding the phone, and the phone is (for the most part) safe.  But if you pull out the binky, that phone will go right into his mouth.  How do I know this?  Because EVERYTHING goes right into his mouth.

Books

Shoes

His Blanket

And everything else!  

Yesterday, Luke was standing by the window looking outside.  I saw his head moving back and forth in front of the sill but thought nothing of it until I realized his movement was accompanied by a scraping sound.  I pulled him away from the window and found white paint flecks on his lips and chin.  I fished around in his mouth and pulled out a few flakes.  Well, I went and found the binky and put it right into his mouth.  And then I debated about calling poison  control.  Seriously, it worries me how much ends up in his mouth.  And for all he may need an increase in orthodontics because of the binky, at least it will keep out the paint.  So, Luke, suck all you want!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

that made me laugh SO much, especially the "everything goes in his mouth" and the pictures that followed.

Skyler tends to spit out the binky if he really wants something else in his mouth...I hate it when he does it too!

Kathleen said...

i had a friend who ripped the rubber thing off the binky, threw it at her kid and told him it was broken and he just got over it. isn't that strange?

Sally said...

do you have a kid, or a puppy?
No. I'm kidding. Those pictures were hilarious though. You guys have the cutest kid ever.