Friday, March 22, 2013

Spring Break

Luke's spring break was the week of March 11-15.  For the first time since I can remember we got through a "vacation" without anyone getting sick.  And we had a great time playing around in Amarillo.  Of course I forgot to take pictures of most of our adventures, but I did nab a few.  And I also borrowed a few from my friend Nozomi.

On Monday we went to the zoo with Luke H. and Nozomi.  There is a little play ground inside the zoo.  This is Micah and Luke H going down the slides together:


We saw some animals:



I think I've mentioned this before, but the Amarillo zoo is VERY small.  We can see everything in about 30 minutes depending on how fast the boys are moving.  They are usually moving pretty fast.  There is another playground outside the zoo that looked fun but is a bit isolated from the zoo entrance.  As this zoo (as are most, it seems) is not in the best part of town, I've never been brave enough to let my boys go to the "green playground" where I felt too exposed.  (Is that the right word?)  But on this beautiful spring day with Nozomi there too we decided to check it out.  It was a really fun playground.  My favorite thing about it was that I could easily keep my eyes on both boys at all times.  That is, for me, the most frustrating thing about most playgrounds.  It is so hard to keep track of 2 boys running in opposite directions!  We had a picnic at the green playground, played for a bit, and then went home for nap time.

The weather was pretty warm most of the week, so we spent a lot of time outside.  We pulled out our bubbles.



and did LOTS of water painting.  

I think this is my favorite activity for the boys to do right now.  First of all, they love it!  Secondly, it makes no mess.  I just put water in a cup and let them wipe it all over the house.  It dries in a few minutes, and that's that.  And third, it keeps them occupied for a very long time.


For FHE on Monday night we went to Luke's school to play on the playground.  The boys spent a few minutes playing on the equipment...


and then they found these holes!


It looked like some trees had died and been dug up.  In any case, there were 3-4 big holes with lots of dirt and we couldn't drag the boys away.  They smashed dirt clumps and threw it in the holes and tried to climb in and out of the holes.  And just acted like pure boys.


This is Luke pretending to plant carrot seeds.


Only in his head it wasn't really pretend.  We've gone back to the playground a few times since and he keeps checking this mound to see if his carrots are starting to grow yet.

A few other things of notable mention (No pictures, sorry!) are a lunch trip to Sam's club with my friend Emery and her boys, our first trip to indoor playground at a baptist church in town, and a visit to Cheer Texas: a gymnastics and cheerleading studio that has "free" play on Friday mornings.  The kids got to jump into the foam pit, jump on the trampolines, and go in a big bounce house, as well as terrorize their mother by sneaking into the restrooms over and over and over.

For the last hoorah of Spring Break, our family went on a camping trip to Palo Duro canyon.  Another post to follow....

No comments: