Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Strawberry Picking

There's a really cool farm across the James River in Surry that Jared and I went to once right when we got here and have never been back to. I've heard that the strawberries are AMAZING if you get them at the right time, so Amber and I decided to check it out.

Yep! They were AWESOME!

Luke had fun picking berries. But he didn't quite get the concept of putting them into the basket. He wanted to pull them off and throw them on the ground. Of course, he also wanted to pick yucky berries off the ground and put those ones into the basket. What goes on in his head? He also didn't want to pose for pictures.

Amber found some good ones.

Our "good" helper

When we were done picking we went into the shop to pay and get some homemade strawberry ice cream. Yum!

Can't wait to dig in...


Luke loved the ice cream too. He's gotten very independent with a spoon. He says "I do it." I know the only way for him to get better is to practice, but he really makes a mess.

There were fans over the tables much to Luke's delight.

I had brought some bread to feed the seagulls from the ferry. They came so close that it was almost scary. I threw the bread very fast because I felt like if I didn't hurry they'd come peck it out of my hands. When I saw how close they came I wouldn't let Luke hold the bread at all.


The strawberries were very delicious and sweet and ripe. We knew we had to use them up fast. And we had a gallon of them. So this is what we did...




I think I was the most proud of the freezer jam. It was my first time making it. Luckily we didn't have to do it alone. A friend from church invited us to her house where she taught us how to do it. Now we have a freezer full of jam, and we need to give some away. Any takers???

1 comment:

Sally said...

I'll take some! Looks like you guys are having an awesome time together! Congrats on the new addition!