Friday, November 13, 2009

An Electric-less Adventure

So it's been storming here for the past 3 days. Jared was hosting a get together for the policy journal members that was starting at 6:30 pm last night. I thought maybe he would cancel it since the winds were really strong all day yesterday. Luke and I just hibernated, but no. It was still on. And it turned in to quite the adventure because our electricity went out last night at exactly 6:30. It was completely dark in the house and Luke is apparently afraid of black outs. He started crying. Jared fumbled his way to the flashlights: one of which is a nifty little number with an elastic band that goes around your head. Jared looked awesome preparing sandwiches with a flashlight strapped around his noggin. Luke HAD to be holding a flashlight at all times or he freaked out. But even with it, Luke rotated between laughing at the flashlight beam and crying when he shined it into his eyes. He was so worked up that I had to rock him and sing for a while before I laid him in his bed. Even then, I had to lay on the floor in his room until he fell asleep.

During the whole party/ event the lights stayed off. We hung out for 4 hours with flashlights. It was kind of camp fire like and actually ended up being a lot of fun. I wished I hadn't spent so much time cleaning up yesterday as no one could even tell that I had mopped. But oh well. Jared's policy friends were really nice. I love how they try to include me too.

That night we moved Luke into the pack n' play in our room because his room is cold anyway, but without any heater is frigid. Since he won't keep blankets on himself we redressed him by adding socks and a long sleeved onesie to his sleeper.

The electricity was out until 11 o'clock this morning. Luke and I were pretty dang cold in our house by then because our entire apartment is run by electricity: heat, stove, you name it. I had on a beanie and Jared's sweats. Luke was wearing the onesie, 2 pairs of socks, his sleeper, and a jacket with the hood on. We spent the morning cuddling on the couch under a quilt reading books. I was sooooo glad the heat came on before his nap. What a crazy lot of hours.

And today when the rain had stopped and the roads had cleared, I ran to Target to update our emergency storage: candles and more batteries. After 4 straight hours I'm sure the ones we had will soon be ready to retire.

No comments: