I've mentioned before that I have a tendency to coddle the boys too much. This is in part because I'm a softie for a cutie, but I also do things for them because they are so distracted and move so slowly that it is just easier for me to do it. However, I know that they have to learn how to do things for themselves, and I also know that the only way they will learn is if I MAKE them. And in reading the conference editions of the Ensign (church magazine) we were advised to give our kids allowance to help them develop responsibility. So we started a chore system that is linked to Luke's allowance. He gets 5 cents for each chore completed AND if he gets all of his checks in one day, he gets as EXTRA LONG SNUGGLE HUG at bedtime. If he doesn't do one of his chores, I take a nickel away.
Luke's chores are very much meant to target the skills he is working on. They are:
1. Poo poo like a big boy (This means he has to sit forwards on the toilet and keep his pants and shoes on while he goes potty. Recently it also means wiping his own bottom.)
2. Eat a new food without gagging or throwing up. Recently Luke has become a pro with scrambled eggs and cubed ham.
3. Pick up your toys.
4. Put on your pajamas all by yourself.
5. (Tues. & Sat.) Empty your bathroom trash can.
6. (Tues. & Sat.) Clean your potty. (His potty needs it twice a week!)
One night last week I sent Luke to his room to put on his pajamas. He came back wearing this:
But he did it all by himself!
(Luke is really into making funny faces for the camera!)
And of course Micah wanted his picture taken too.